Dave Kennedy on ethical hacking using PowerShell
Execute commands and scripts from anywhere including the office and remote locations, as well as from a Web browser or smart phone with PowerGUI Pro from Quest Software. With the MobileShell feature, administrators can quickly run commands to troubleshoot problems or make changes, even when away from your desk! This gives teams more flexibility to work remotely while traveling, and to leverage admins from other offices in case of an emergency.
· Execute queries remotely to determine if services or processes are running
· Restart services, processes, or entire servers
· Check mailbox settings
· Unlock user accounts
· Reset passwords
· Run custom scripts
Visit quest.com/powerguipro and see why PowerShell and Quest PowerGUI are the ultimate Windows management tools.
Our interview is brought to you by SAPIEN Technologies, makers of PrimalScript and PrimalForms.
- <AaronHoover> ## favorite linux distros?
- <toenuff> ## Scripting language/Programming language history
- <c0gito_ergo_sum> ## how about how SET came to be?
- <c0gito_ergo_sum> ### what did you develope for backtrack?
- <stuwee-1> Q: how simular do you see python and psh?
- <infosec208> ## this sounds like a n00b question probably, but has dave used python 3 or stuck with python 2.x? i've struggled with the ctypes he mentioned with 3.x.
- <stuwee-1> Q: do you use psh automation scripts to do system tests?
- <AaronHoover> ## would you say most networks are turtle shells?
- <AaronHoover> ## thoughts on Certified Ethical Hacker cert?
- <c0gito_ergo_sum> ### great description on what the tool is and some backround on it but did you just say one day "hey i want to be able to do something like this automaticaly" or was it someone who wanted the tool?
- <PenPerk> CISSP = if you didn't know how to secure a machine before the cert.. you still don't after..
- <AaronHoover> ## best ways to sell security to decision makers? Opportunity cost? Disaster scenarios?
- <infosec208> ## how has dave used powershell in a test? i have not listened to his defcon talk. i can see where powershell can be handy since it's almost on every server. like wmi via powershell?
- <stuwee-1> Q: is a recorded session or powerpoint slides available for posting in the notes from his defcon session
- <toenuff> ## Have you looked at attacking winrm or did you play with remoting at all?
- <Toshana> ##By a weak SA password are describing a brute force attack on the SA, to the SMO?
- <AaronHoover> ## how often do new security tools come out? Or are there more updates to existing tools?
- <stuwee-1> Q: How often is he using psh for testing?
- <phat32> ## Q what resouces has Dave used to learn more about powershell scripting and how to use it?
- <AaronHoover-1> ## how 'powerful' is PS compared to linux/bash?
- <toenuff> ## What did you not like in PowerShell when learning it?
- <PenPerk> ## What would you do to secure powershell from people like you?
- <toenuff> ## He's mentioned execution restriction policy twice... what makes them so weak?
- <phat32> but flash can't see through....walls
Hero - Superman
This segment brought to you by ServerFault.com